SUBMISSION DEADLINE IS NOVEMBER 19TH, 2021 11:59EST
Abstract Submission Guidelines
ASSR 2022 Annual Symposium
February 24-27, 2022
Abstract Submission Deadline: Friday, November 19th, 2021.
Authors will be notified on or before Monday, December 6th, 2021.
Abstract Submission Categories:
Oral presentation (mentored) (Louis A. Gillula, MD Mentor Award Papers): should represent original spine-related
research performed by fellows, residents, junior faculty (less than 5 years post-fellowship), or medical students mentored
by an ASSR Active Member. Indicate if you wish to be
considered for this Award and that you meet the criteria referenced above. An ASSR Active Member must serve as
Mentor for research project. Oral presentations for all categories will occur in-person in 2022.
Oral presentation (non-mentored): should summarize the details of clearly defined and carefully conducted investigative efforts. Abstracts may be submitted in either the Diagnostic Spine or Interventional Spine categories.
Excerpta extraordinaire: should teach a lesson, illustrate a problem in diagnosis, describe a novel procedure, or present
an unusual case.
Electronic exhibit: should present original research or illustrate key learning points of a pathological process, or an imageguided
interventional spine procedure. Those Electronic Exhibits selected for presentation will be on display during the
ASSR 2022 Annual Symposium. Authors will be asked to submit their presentations to an ASSR Audio-Visual technician
prior to the ASSR 2022 Annual Symposium. Details will be included in the abstract notification email.
All selected abstracts will be included in the ASSR 2022 Annual Symposium Syllabus if submitted in time to meeting printing
deadlines. All selected presentations MUST be presented using Microsoft™ PowerPoint for Windows.
Society Awards: The presenting first authors of the top three Louis A. Gillula, MD Mentor Award papers will each receive
a certificate and monetary award. As budgeting permits, The First-Place recipient will receive an invitation from the
American Society of Neuroradiology (ASNR) to present their award-winning paper at the ASNR 60th Annual Meeting & The
Foundation of the ASNR Symposium 2022. The First-Place recipient will also receive an additional post-ASNR meeting
monetary award to help defray travel expenses if the meeting is in-person. Monetary awards will also be given to the best
overall non-mentor Diagnostic Spine and Interventional Spine Scientific Paper and Electronic Exhibit as selected by the
ASSR Awards Committee.
Abstracts may be a maximum of 300 words in length not including the title, references, figure legend, or author listing. A
table or figure may be submitted as graphic image.
• Only one graphic file with a maximum of four (4) images is permitted.
• Images should be 3 x 3 inches at 150 dpi in .JPG, .PNG, or .GIF format.
• Up to 5 references will be accepted and these WILL NOT count towards the 300 word limit.
Oral mentored and non-mentored presentations: Abstracts must be formatted in the following manner:
1. Purpose: State the reasons for conducting the research.
2. Methods and Materials: Outline the methods of investigation that were employed.
3. Results: Present a synopsis of your findings.
4. Conclusions: Summarize the most pertinent conclusions drawn from your results.
Excerpta extraordinaire – A brief description of the case and lessons learned.
Electronic exhibits: For original research, please utilize scientific paper format (as above). For illustrative learning, a brief
description of the objectives followed by a listing of learning points with an image rich presentation is sufficient.
Abstract Preparation Instructions:
1. All abstracts must be submitted no later than November 19th, 2021 via the abstract submission site at:
2. Choose (up to 3) types of submission for consideration:
1) Oral presentation (mentored): diagnostic
2) Oral presentation (mentored): interventional
3) Oral presentation (non-mentored): diagnostic
4) Oral presentation (non-mentored): interventional
5) Excerpta extraordinaire: diagnostic
6) Excerpta extraordinaire: interventional
7) Electronic exhibit: diagnostic
8) Electronic exhibit: interventional
3. Do NOT include names, titles, degrees, addresses, zip codes, or grant support in the abstract space.
4. Financial disclosures should be included in the reference section. Also, specify whether the submission has been
previously published or presented. If so, specify when, and where.
5. Instructions will be provided for oral presentation recording and upload of digital presentations when acceptance
notifications are emailed. One to two images can be uploaded with your abstract if deemed necessary.